Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Overheard in a bar, Don't go away MAD; just go away

So, I had the opportunity to enjoy a drink at McPartlan's Corner Inc. (Note to self, their FB page says "Inc." must-include-the-inc)

I'm not one to turn my nose up at a dive bar, and I'd never been to McPartlan's (Inc.) I drive by it every day on the way to work and somewhat acknowledge there is a sort of tavern on the property, but hadn't given it much thought. So, when the invitation presented itself, off I went, eagerly.

I think my fellow companion and I lowered the collective age in the bar by at least 30 years.  It turns out, it didn't matter. What you have always known, and suspected, is that it really doesn't matter if you are twenty-two, thirty-eight or eighty-eight, the conversation will inevitably deteriorate, as they often do while having cocktails. 

Patrick, the bar tender, knew everyone by name. Hell, they've been coming there for at least 40 years. We heard how the other bartender REALLY broke her ankle, saw some subtle flirtation in the corner that was not so subtle, and the gentleman next to me apologized profusely for their behavior (It's OK, I have heard the line, "One more shot for me. Better get him one too."). Obviously, I was the new girl in town, but more then welcome to return.

But my favorite line, overheard at the bar that day?
"Don't go away mad. Just go away." It was said in jest. We all had a good laugh, but really?

Words to live by. Count your blessings and cut your losses. Quit the people and things that don't play 'nice' in your life, and remember, don't go away mad. Just go away. Take care of you.

1 comment:

  1. Good one. :-) Another place to go to with you when I come to visit. (Becoming more and more likely and less and less nebulous every day, especially with places like McPartlan's Corner Inc. awaiting)

    - one of your biggest fans

    ReplyDelete