Sunday, December 2, 2012

Adios Dark Stranger

Now, before you think I've met the proverbial lover in the alley, stop, read

We never examine our life until we are confronted with death. Death of a loved one, a pet, a neighbor, a co-worker ~ makes us realize our mortality...UHM anything new here?

So with the Dark Stranger... You've read my FB post, you know he was just a fish. I count myself lucky that the Dark Stranger was gifted to me 11 some years ago by my cousin/sister/friend, Margaret.

The Dark Stranger truly was a gift. He was a teaching moment for friends, family and myself. MY GOD, he was a scum-sucking bottom feeder; the lowest of the low, to quote my old friend Ken (he found that disgusting, but I am pretty sure that's who he dated..).

Let me tell you, this 'bottom feeder' was much more savvy and smart than many of the people I encounter.

OK, he would beg like a gold fish and perform silly tricks like taking an algae tablet from your fingers (even in his olden days with cataracts), but more than that, he would sense you were there and just move his silky body up to the edge of the aquarium any time you were near, just to be close; just to let you know he was there~no expectations, just there, to be near you.

How many of your friends do that for you?

Those of you who had the good fortune of meeting him will mourn his passing. RIP

No comments:

Post a Comment